The word Triphala is made from two words- tri + phala- which mean three fruits. It is named so because the herbal mixture is made of three dried fruits native to India namely-Indian gooseberry (Emblica Officinalis), black myrobalan (Terminalia chebula), and Haritaki (Terminalia chebula). According to the Ayurvedic tradition, Triphala can treat a wide range of health conditions. As with many multi-herbal medications, it is unknown which parts of Triphala are responsible for its potential benefits.
Many of Triphala’s possible health benefits can be attributed to its laxative effect, or ability to “cleanse the system.” At lower doses, Triphala works as a bowel tonic to alleviate gas and promote digestion. It can also be used at higher doses as a purgative, or strong laxative.
The three fruits in Triphala :
Triphala is a mixture of three dried fruits of the following three plants native to India:
Amla : Also known as amla, Indian gooseberry is rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, amino acids and compounds like phenols, tannins, phyllembelic acid, rutin, curcuminoids and emblicol. This fruit can help to remove toxins from the body, regulate the health of the pancreas, manage cholesterol levels, and keep your bones strong.
Bibhitaki : also known as black myrobalan helps to regulate cholesterol levels and keeps muscle and bones healthy and strong. It is packed with nutrients like tannins, ellagic acid, gallic acid, lignans and flavonoids.
Haritaki : Haritaki is a nut-shaped fruit, which is packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. It is loaded with phytochemicals such as terpenes, polyphenols, anthocyanins and flavonoids. This herb is popularly used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat digestive issues like constipation.
Health Benefits :
- Helps you lose weight loss
- Fights against cancer
- Reduces inflammation in the body
- Protects from dental problems
- Improves skin quality
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Used as a natural laxative
Different ways to use Triphala :
- Triphala Powder with cold water: Add 1 tablespoon of Triphala powder to a glass of water and leave it overnight. Drink the concoction in the morning.
- Triphala Powder with Honey & Cinnamon: Add a teaspoon of Triphala powder in a glass of water and leave it overnight. In the morning, add a tablespoon of honey and half a teaspoon honey to this mixture and drink it.
- Triphala tea: You can also make Triphala tea using Triphala Powder. For preparing the tea, add a tablespoon of Triphala Powder to a cup of hot water. Let the mixture steep for 10 minutes, then drink your hot beverages.